Bloomberg Billionaires Index

View profiles for each of the world’s 500 richest people, see the biggest movers, and compare fortunes or track returns.

# 149 Georg Schaeffler $10.2B

Random fact: Has two law degrees from Duke University.

Overview

Schaeffler is chairman and majority owner of Schaeffler AG, a manufacturer of ball bearings and automotive supplies. The Herzogenaurach, Germany-based company had more than 85,000 employees and revenue of 14.2 billion euros ($16.8 billion) in 2018. He also controls almost 37% of auto parts maker Continental.

As of :
Last change -$191M ( -1.8%)
YTD change -$273M ( -2.6%)
Industry Industrial
Biggest asset CON GY Equity
Citizenship Germany
Age 55
Wealth Inherited
View net worth over:   Max 1 year 1 quarter 1 month 1 week

Relative Value

Georg Schaeffler's net worth of $10.2B can buy ...

0
troy ounces of gold
0
barrels of crude oil

... and is equivalent to ...

0%
of the GDP of the United States
0%
of the total wealth of the 500 richest people in the world
0%
of the top 100 U.S. college endowments
0%
of the top 200 U.S. executives’ total awarded compensation
0%
of U.S. existing home sales
0
times the median U.S. household income

Latest News

Net Worth Summary

Cash
Private asset
Public asset
Misc. liabilities
Confidence rating:

The majority of Schaeffler's fortune is derived from an 80% stake in INA-Holding, a Herzogenaurach, Germany-based closely held company. Through INA-Holding and its fully-owned subsidiaries, he controls interests in publicly traded auto parts maker Continental and ball bearing maker Schaeffler AG.

Schaeffler owns 80% of the holding vehicle as of May 2019 and his mother, Maria-Elisabeth Schaeffler-Thumann owns the remaining 20%, according to company filings.

The billionaire and his mother collectively hold 46% of the Continental, according to the company's website in June 2019, and the 2018 annual report.

They also control Schaeffler AG, which had an initial public offering in 2015. All of the non-trading voting shares are held by IHO Verwaltungs, an entity is fully owned by INA-Holding, according to the 2018 annual report.

IHO Verwaltungs had debt of 4.3 billion euros, as of March 31, 2019, according to a May 2019 presentation. A liability is included to reflect the billionaire's 80% share of this debt and is adjusted to account for calculated cash holdings.

Christoph Beumelburg, a spokesman at Schaeffler AG, declined to comment on the net worth calculation.

Biography

Birthdate: 10/19/1964
Family: Divorced, 4 children
Education: Duke University School of Law, Duke University School of Law, University of St Gallen

Georg Schaeffler was born in Herzogenaurach, Germany, to Maria-Elisabeth and Georg Schaeffler Sr., the founder of a namesake ball bearing manufacturer. He served as a lieutenant in Germany's Air Force reserves before studying business at the University of St. Gallen, Switzerland.

After graduating, he worked for his father's company in Germany and the U.S. for six years. He subsequently received degrees in international and comparative law from Duke University in 2000, and worked as a corporate lawyer for the Dallas law firm Haynes & Boone before returning to work for the family company in 2006.

Schaeffler inherited 80 percent of the business when his father died in 1996. With his mother, he orchestrated one of Germany's largest hostile takeovers, acquiring Continental for more than $17 billion in 2008. Continental shareholders eventually accepted the offer just as markets collapsed, leaving the Schaefflers with more than 90 percent of the shares and $15 billion in debt. Schaeffler restructured the debt and now controls almost half of Continental. He lives in Dallas, has four sons, and is divorced from his first wife, Bernadette Muehlen.

Milestones
  • 1964 Born in Erlangen, Germany, to Maria-Elisabeth and Georg Schaeffler Sr.
  • 1985 Serves as a lieutenant in Germany's Air Force reserves after high school.
  • 1990 Graduates from the University of St. Gallen, Switzerland.
  • 1996 Inherits 80 percent of family company when father dies.
  • 1999 Graduates from Duke University's School of Law.
  • 2006 Works as an economic attorney at law firm Haynes and Boone.
  • 2008 Orchestrates successful hostile takeover of Continental.
  • 2015 Engineers IPO of Schaeffler AG to pay down debt.