Bloomberg Billionaires Index

View profiles for each of the world’s 500 richest people, see the biggest movers, and compare fortunes or track returns.

# 246 Juan Beckmann Vidal & family $8.50B

Random fact: Investing $250 million to support tequila tourism in Jalisco state.


Beckmann is chairman of Becle, a publicly traded holding company that controls Jose Cuervo, the world's biggest tequila maker. His family are the biggest shareholders in the Mexico City-based company, which reported net sales of $2 billion in 2021. They also own Proximo Spirits, a Mexican alcohol distributor.

As of :
Last change +$4.44M ( +0.1%)
YTD change +$949M ( +12.6%)
Biggest asset CUERVO* MM Equity
Country / Region Mexico
Age 82
Industry Food & Beverage
View net worth over:   Max 1 year 1 quarter 1 month 1 week

Relative Value

Juan Beckmann Vidal & family's net worth of $8.50B can buy ...

troy ounces of gold
barrels of crude oil

... and is equivalent to ...

of the GDP of the United States
of the total wealth of the 500 richest people in the world
of the top 100 U.S. college endowments
of the top 200 U.S. executives’ total awarded compensation
of U.S. existing home sales
times the median U.S. household income

Latest News

Net Worth Summary

Private asset
Public asset
Misc. liabilities
Confidence rating:

The majority of Beckmann's fortune is derived from Mexico City-based Becle, the holding company that controls Jose Cuervo, the world's biggest tequila maker. Cuervo began trading publicly as Becle SAB on Feb. 9, 2017 and reported revenue of 39 billion pesos ($2 billion) in 2021. 

Beckmann and his family own about 85% of Becle, according to its 2021 corporate governance report. In May 2019, Beckmann transferred bare legal title to a 35% stake in the company to his daughter, but he still controls the stake's voting rights, according to a news release, and remains company chairman.

Carlos Suarez, a spokesman for Cuervo, declined to comment on the net worth calculation.


Family: Unknown, No children

Beckmann Vidal, the grandson of a German ambassador to Mexico and an heiress to the Cuervo tequila fortune, grew up in the border city of Tijuana, selling margaritas by the gallon at a hotel and hawking sombreros to tourists at the bull ring. After graduating from Instituto Tecnologico de Monterrey, he moved back to Tequila, in the state of Jalisco, where he oversaw the agave fields on horseback and worked on accounts by night, according to a 2005 profile of Beckmann by CNN Expansion.

Now one of Mexico’s richest tycoons, he's also been a member of the Grupo Financiero Banamex board and holds a stake in Chicago-based Byline Bank along with fellow billionaire Antonio Del Valle. An April 2015 Fitch report said he owns 70 percent of JB y Compania, the Cuervo holding company that was merged into Becle in November 2015. The remaining 30 percent of the business is owned by his son.

The opening of Hotel Solar de las Animas in October shows that the billionaire hasn’t shied away from his dream of bringing 1.5 million tourists per year to Tequila by 2020, up from 230,000 in 2015. In a rare televised speech he gave in 2011, he credited a popular 2007 telenovela and its alluring agave-harvesting protagonist for having jump started local tourism (the lead was played by Mexico’s first lady at the time).

  • 1812 La Rojena distillery is founded in Tequila, Mexico.
  • 1906 Cuervo sells its first bottled tequila.
  • 1938 A bartender creates a cocktail named after a showgirl, the Margarita
  • 2002 Diageo returns its 45 percent stake in Jose Cuervo to the Beckmanns.
  • 2004 Son Juan Domingo Beckmann named CEO of Casa Cuervo.
  • 2012 Talks to sell Cuervo tequila brand to Diageo break down.
  • 2014 Cuervo swaps its stake in Don Julio for Diageo's Bushmills whiskey brand.
  • 2015 Beckmann family's tourism arm opens first five-star hotel in Tequila.