Bloomberg Billionaires Index

View profiles for each of the world’s 500 richest people, see the biggest movers, and compare fortunes or track returns.

# 347 Tatyana Bakalchuk $6.70B

Random fact: Worked as an English teacher before starting her own company.

Overview

Bakalchuk is the founder and chief executive of Wildberries, Russia’s largest online retailer. The Moscow-based business had sales volumes of $11.2 billion in 2021 after benefiting from an increase in online shopping due to the Covid-19 pandemic. It serves more than 8 million customers daily and operates in 19 countries.

As of :
Last change -$161M ( -2.4%)
YTD change +$1.10B ( +19.5%)
Biggest asset Wildberries
Country / Region Russian Federation
Age 46
Industry Technology
View net worth over:   Max 1 year 1 quarter 1 month 1 week

Relative Value

Tatyana Bakalchuk's net worth of $6.70B can buy ...

0
troy ounces of gold
0
barrels of crude oil

... and is equivalent to ...

0%
of the GDP of the United States
0%
of the total wealth of the 500 richest people in the world
0%
of the top 100 U.S. college endowments
0%
of the top 200 U.S. executives’ total awarded compensation
0%
of U.S. existing home sales
0
times the median U.S. household income

Latest News

Net Worth Summary

Cash
Private asset
Public asset
Misc. liabilities
Confidence rating:

The majority of Bakalchuk's fortune is derived from her 99% stake in Wildberries, Russia’s largest online retailer, according to the Data Insight website. She holds her stake directly, according to Spark-Interfax financial database. Her husband, Vladislav Bakalchuk, controls the remaining 1%.

The Russia-based business had sales volumes of $11.2 billion in 2021, according to the data provided by the company, and has operations in 19 countries.

The company is valued using the average price-to-sales multiple of five publicly traded peers: Ozon Holdings, Alibaba Group Holding, JD.com, eBay and Amazon.com.

Biography

Birthdate: 10/16/1975
Family: Married, 7 children
Education: Kolomna State Pedagogical Institute

Tatyana Bakalchuk was born in the Moscow region in 1975. She founded online retailer Wildberries in 2004 in her Moscow apartment while on maternity leave from her job as an English teacher.

She paid around $700 to create company's first website.“At first, I did everything myself, collecting the goods and taking them to customers on the other side of Moscow by subway or bus,” said Bakalchuk in an interview with Bloomberg News in August 2018.

Over the following years Bakalchuk grew Wildberries into Russia's biggest online retailer with more than 8 million customers and about 60,000 brands in stock. In 2019, the company started expanding beyond the former Soviet Union into Israel, Poland, Germany and Slovakia.

The billionaire lives in Moscow with her husband and seven children.

Milestones
  • 1975 Tatyana Bakalchuk is born in the Moscow region.
  • 2004 Founds online retailer Wildberries.
  • 2020 Wildberries expands to Israel.
  • 2021 Wildberries starts selling in Germany.