DeSantis Defends Vetoing Funds for Tampa Bay Rays After Team’s Gun Safety Tweets
This article is for subscribers only.
Florida Governor Ron DeSantis defended his veto of $35 million in funding for a potential spring training site for the Tampa Bay Rays after the Major League Baseball team last week said it was committed to “actionable change” in the wake of the school mass shooting in Texas.
“I don’t support giving taxpayer dollars to professional sports stadiums,” DeSantis said Friday at a press briefing when asked about the veto of the youth sports complex. “Companies are free to engage or not engage with whatever discourse they want, but clearly, it’s inappropriate to be doing tax dollars for professional sports stadiums. It’s also inappropriate to subsidize political activism of a private corporation.”